tan's tale

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Music & Driving


“ Son, get up you bum. Driver hasn’t come today so you got to take me to… (some far away place)” This is something I hear at my place on a regular basis. Oh the thought of driving on Indian roads. Only masochists look forward to such a jaunt. But still you’ll see me rushing towards the car keys, slotting in the key, cranking the engine up, and waiting… But I got company, a CD I compiled on the best driving or (if you’re a hardcore biker) riding songs, and frankly it’s an absolute pleasure listening to it while driving. There are songs and there are songs.

Honestly it doesn’t matter where I have to take my folks or my siblings and go, the music does and more importantly the sound system. Even a simple one will do, it doesn’t have to be a big, expensive one which will blow your brains out. Music doesn’t really need a humongous woofer that’ll send in vibes through the seat making you feel like you got a Mercedes with a seat massager to satiate your carnal bachelor / bachelorette needs. Music needs quality to be appreciated not quantity. Clearity is all I ask of it.

Pardon me for digressing a bit there, (and I probably will do so later on but bear with me!!) but I’m trying to make a point here. Point is it doesn’t matter what you drive, it can be your dad’s precious Mercedes or a dukkar (old and outdated.. basically what folks in madras call a thagaira dabba) fiat, its what on the inside that matters. Comfortable interiors and a wonderful ICE (in car entertainment system) will do for driving. This is my opinion and am sure some of you are like what about the looks, the engine – the POWER, fuel economy etc etc. Frankly if you love your music it doesn’t matter.

I ,like any other petrol nut, love to rev the nuts off the engine and make music with the exhaust. I would love a Ferrari, or a even better a Lamborghini (No money doesn’t grow on trees in my house :-P) but honestly where, where in god’s name are you going to drive them in India. You can say ECR, Mumbai-Pune expressway and the Golden Quadrilateral, but such roads can be counted on your fingers. The Automobile industry is booming (hurray good for all of us), but like cause and effect, this boom is sadly displayed on our roads. More cars means more congestion and no matter how many flyovers come up, it’ll all be too little to late.

So how does music help you ask?? Scientists in UK have proven that listening to calm music soothes your mind and de-stresses you. They primarily carried this test out with Beethoven music. Ok so you don’t like Beethoven, your more into hard rock and metal and some retro. Got some bad news there for you. Seems music that’s loud and with heavy beats makes you more aggressive. So basically if you’re the one who listens to linkin park or metallica then let me know, I’ll stay out of your way. However like all research this is only a generalized observation. Hence if your late on that date and you rather not face the consequences of your beloved’s fury, slot in some metallica, linkin park, rammstein, the hard stuff. Hey even dappan koothu n ganaa type songs work. Albeit if your stuck in traffic maybe some love songs to put you in a pensive mood, so the traffic around you just vanishes (subsequently you become the cause of another traffic jam). Some suggestions: coldplay, roja, Bombay, some illayaraja melody, dire straits, eric clapton

Oh I nearly forgot about what bikers can do to beat the stress. Well there’s ipod (hurrah!) plug in but don’t forget to put on that lid people. Really wish someone would invent a helmet with inbuilt speakers. Hmm, maybe I’ll do that and patent it ;-)

So I hope you get what I’m trying to say. Here’s my list of famous driving songs. Now this is only a matter of personal opinion, so in case you do have any suggestions do let me know when you bump into me. I’ve primarily listed down English songs and that too rock and they are in no particular order, I like them all equally. Also I might have left some great artistes and that’s again down to the philosophy of “different people, different strokes” and I can’t list them all down here. (too many n too little space J )

1. Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen

2. Highway to Hell – AC/DC

3. Highway Star – Deep Purple

4. Born to Be Wild – Steppenwolf

5. Du Hast – Rammstein

6. Black Knight – Deep Purple

7. Leave You Far Behind – Lunatic Calm

8. Heavy Fuel – Dire Straits

9. Hotel California – Eagles

10. Are You Gonna Go My Way – Lenny Kravitz

11. We Will Rock You – Queen ( J and you thought I forgot)

12. Rockstar – Nickelback

13. Clocks – Coldplay

14. Riders on the Storm – The Doors

15. Life in the Fast Lane - Eagles

2 Comments:

Blogger Srivatsan Gopinath said...

try to stick sprigs of mint into those cubbyholes if you can chap. turns out mint (specifically peppermint) helps you stay alert while driving and improves your reaction times by as much as .4 s.

PS:thought buell built a helmet that plays music....... maybe i just dreamt i saw it on tv....

12:49 pm  
Blogger tan said...

i think tat helmet was jus a prototype dude.. never saw the light of day.. mint eh.. yeah read about tat too..

n to others who read this entry.. it wud b nice if u cud list sme of ur fav driving songs..

drive n ride safe

5:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home